Home Organization Ideas

Well it's been a while since I've been on and since then I've received a new calling.  I'm 2nd counselor in the Relief Society.  I am over the activities and last night we had an activity about home organization.  I love what Marie Ricks has to say about organization, so I based my lesson from her book Project organization.  The following is a Prezi Presentation I put together to help illustrate the concepts I was trying to teach.  If you read the first few chapters of Marie's book it will make more sense, but there are some good ideas without the book.

Click this Link for the Prezi.



If you don't want to go through the presentation here are some photos to give you some ideas.

This is my baking center.

Measuring tools are in this cupboard.

Spices are in the corner cupboard on turn tables. Most used on the bottom (I'm rather small in stature) and the less used ones in the middle.  Top are bulk spices I use to refill my containers.



This is my recipe box oils, honey and syrup.  Up top are candles in case the power goes out.

This is a bit out of order, but it is on the bottom shelf of my measuring cupboard.  Measuring cups and spoons.

This is in my craft closet.  This is 8.5x11 card stock sorted by paper color.

This organizer is from Ikea.  I use it for any of our family's history I want to keep forever.  At the end of the year or when it's super full I'll move it to a file I have in the basement where I will store it until they move out.  When they do I'll give them a box full of memories.  I used to have grand ideas about scrapbooking everything, but real life happens and it's no longer a priority.

Craft Closet in our office.  The chair fits even when I close the door.

In the kitchen I put contact paper (on the edges) and wax paper (in the middle) to cover the tops of my cupboards.  When it gets greasy and discussing, I'll just throw it away and replace it.  No more scrubbing!

My microwave has a cavernous cavity on the top where dust and oil like to accumulate.  It's almost impossible to clean, so I put a piece of fabric attached with magnets to cover the top.  When the microwave is not in use it lays flat and you can't see it.  When it's going air circulates out and makes it raise up which is what you see here.


Cleaning the microwave.  Just put a bowl of water in and cook it for 3 min.  Don't open the door and let it sit another 5.  After that use a microfiber rag with a bit of dish soap to wipe it out.  It's super easy, all the stuck on bits of food just wipe right off.  No harsh chemicals needed.

I usually use a dry microfiber rag to shine it up.  This took 3 or 4 min. to get it to look this good!

Did someone pee the bed or is it just getting a bit musty? 
Start by spraying the bed with a bit of water.  You want it to be barley damp.

Next shake Borax powder on the mattress and rub it into the fibers with your hand.
Let it sit a couple hours until dry.

Then vacuum it off.  Even if you don't use the borax it's a good idea to vacuum your mattress now and then.

Do you have those impossible to remove toilet rings from hard water?  The scouring stick will make your toilet look new again.  I've never had it scratch the porcelain and it works like nothing else.  Anther bonus, no harsh chemicals, it's just a natural stone.
The yellow bar is Fels Naptha.  (It's half gone).  My favorite stain remover.  I just get the fabric wet then rub it in and throw the laundry in the wash.  No pricey pre treaters for me!

This plastic storage device is from Ikea, and I use it for my microfiber rags.  A tip for washing microfiber, only wash the rags and nothing else.  They can loose their effectiveness.  If you find they are not cleaning as well as when they were new, just boil them in hot water for 20 min then wash them.

Under the stairs.  It's amazing how much stuff you can get into this awkward space with a shelf on one side.


Hope this helped you with some ideas on how to make your house more organized.  Happy cleaning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ward, Neighborhood Progressive Dinner Activity

LDS Girls Camp Idea, 12 Virgins and oil.